[kdepim-users] font rendering errors running kmail on gnome

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Feb 22 17:09:20 GMT 2015

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 11:05:53 AM Nils Kassube wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I played quite a bit this morning and found that in kmails message
> > reader window, the only thing I can change about the font, which
> > looks like a thinly rendered sans seriff mono, is its size.  The font
> > selector shows the demo on the space at the bottom so that you can
> > see what a  font looks like, but the italic/bold/bold italic setting
> > do show up in the test window, but cannot|are not applied when apply
> > is clicked.
> >
> > I just had a power failure, short duration so my 20kw in the bck yard
> > didn't start, but the batteries in my ups, several years old now, did
> > not function even for a second, so it was a total power failure.  On
> > reboot, I chose the kde plasma desktop just to check and when I
> > started kmail, it still had this same problem.
>
> So usually you don't use KDE but another desktop? Then I suppose you
> did not yet try to change the fonts at the KDE systemsettings. I think
> these settings would apply even if you are using another desktop.

I am pretty sure its lightdm.  What I am looking at seems to meld gnome2
and lxde gui stuff.  I get a gnome screen background, with the lxde mouse
icon in the app menu button. Confusin.  Kdesystemsettings I started to
install this morning, but it looked to pull in quite a bit of other
dependencies so I backed off.  I tried to deal with plasma 3 or 4 years
ago but could not develop a liking to all the non-productive eye candy,
and found it so hard to configure this time I gave up & rebooted after
kmail still had the same problem.  This time to a full 64 bit kernel, but
its not configured for rt-preempt and I need that for even the sim version
of linuxcnc.

> > Q: where is the bugzilla, and can it be accessed without yet another
> > passwd to remember?
>
> That would be <https://bugs.kde.org/>. Of course you will have to
> register and remember your passwordג€¦

I'll see what I can do there in a bit.  The power fail, only a second or
so, totally fscked up everything here but the but the drives.  So I've
gone online & bought some fresh batteries, then I made the mistake of
mentioning batteries to my baby (shes only 75 as of last week) and got
stuck looking for a place where I could buy her a charger & a couple more
batteries for her elderly Sharp Hi8 viewcam.

Ups batteries have come down a ways since I put the last set in this one
about 4 or 5 years ago, but batteries for that old a Sharp Hi8 are turning
into antiques, priced accordingly.

That is one of those scenes where if you have to ask how much, you can't
afford it anyway. OTOH, we can't take it with us either. ;-)

Thanks for the link, Nils.
0
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)