[kdepim-users] chatty akonadi apps

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Nov 8 12:53:21 GMT 2014

On Saturday, 2014-11-08, 11:33:31, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As I just mentioned in another message, I'm using Kontact for my email
> needs, also on a slow netbook. It works well enough as long as I don't have
> to get out of some kind of deadlock, but I notice that the various akonadi
> applications run in the background are very chatty. That cannot but slow
> down an already slow machine so I wonder if there's a way to make all those
> resources shut up at least about each and every successful operation?
>
> Debug output is already off via kdebugdialog, so AFAIK I should NOT get all
> that output according to KDE debug output guidelines.

An application that has all its debug output turned off (its own and that of
the libraries/subsystems it uses) should not log/write anything other than
maybe warnings and errors [1].

Application developers sometimes use non KDE logging, e.g. qDebug() statments,
which are unaffected by the debug settings.

This can be handy during development, e.g. a developer can also turn off
anything else and only see this expectional output.
But the general idea is to remove it from production code or to convert it to
proper kDebug().

If you are still seeing output such as that you could report it as an issue
with the software.

Having that said, porting to Qt5 should improve that situation at some point
as well, since it now also has a logging framework capable of being configured
and developers are urged to switched to that.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] when I restart Akonadi through the shell in a Konsole window I currently
almost only see warning and errors being logged, the only debug type messages
seem to come from search related components and I am not sure I turned their
logging of yet.

KDE user support, developer mentoring