[kdepim-users] strange "lag" and cpu usage when previewing certain HTML mail in KMail

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 20:08:48 BST 2014

On 22/04/2014 13:40, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On Kubuntu 14.04I have noticed that certain HTML mail take several
> seconds before preview (or open). During the "lag" KMail basically
> freeze and my laptop fan runs amok.
>
> It is difficult to give examples as it is not all HTML but one is
> basically any from cnet.com (I subscribe to several newsletters).
>
> Has anyone else noticed this or is it unique to something in my
> setup/configuration.
>
> This is KDEPIM 4.13 with the baloo indexing
>
> Kind regards
> Sinclair

some comments after searching around a bit on forums:

some more details, after a bit experimenting:
If I switch off HTML "preference" in the security settings part all is
smooth even when I then use the "show html by clicking here" function.

Also KMail/Kontact then use about 120 Mb RAM whereas with "HTML mail
preferred" it quickly goes up to around 500 Mb and keeps growing.

So it does not seem to be the viewing itself but something connected to
preferring to have HTML mail shown (without loading external preferences).

However, this makes some mail simply saying "go to this webpage" that
kind of makes it a bit pointless to have them as mail and completely
disturbs my workflow

seems to be bug 331156 in bugs.kde.org

/Sinclair