[kdepim-users] KMail 4.11.1 - Hangs on 'Retrieving Folder Contents'?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Sep 7 22:28:47 BST 2013

On Friday 06 September 2013 13:12:35 Paul Sobey wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Since upgrading to 4.11 (and since then 4.11.1) Kmail seems to be
> almost unusable. CPU is pegged between kmail/akonadi/akonadi_imap
> resources (in seemingly varying quantities after kmail and akonadi
> restarts.

I experienced the same problems with 4.11. I went back to 4.10 for now
because I didn't have time for extensive problem analysis.

> How can I go about debugging this? I checked akonadiconsole for
> duplicate collections per a previous thread, and can't find any.

Same here. I also didn't have a duplicate "special folder collection".

> Setup:
>
> 2 IMAP mailboxes, one 'current' against Exchange 2007, one 'archive'
> containing a large volume of mail, anything older than about a week.
> The archive contains multiple folders, each containing between
> 3000-12000 emails.

Hmm. I have a lot more IMAP mailboxes. One of those also is on an
Exchange server, but I think it's 2010. What I've noticed with KMail
4.11/Akonadi 1.10 (and what I'm also seeing with KMail 4.10.5 and
Akonadi 1.9.2, but without apparent negative effects) is that KMail is
syncing the folders of the Exchange account incessantly. The Exchange
account has lots of folders so I suspect that once all folders have been
synced KMail immediately starts another syncing round.

Do you also see this incessant folder syncing?

Since the incessant syncing doesn't cause any problems with 4.10 it's
probably a red herring.

> Any extra info I can provide, let me know.

For an online debugging session try to catch Daniel Vrátil (or Kevin
Krammer or Volker Krause) at the #akonadi IRC channel on
irc.freenode.org.