[kdepim-users] KMail frequently fails to fetch mail - need to clear akonadi cache

ITSEF Admin itsef-admin at brightsight.com
Mon Nov 4 10:56:48 GMT 2013

Hi all,

another problem I ran into with Kontact/KMail (still 4.11.2, so if this has
been improved in the upcoming 4.11.3, please let me know):

Our IMAP server (Kolab -> cyrus) is shut down briefly for back-up purposes
each night. When I leave Kontact/KMail running over night, all e-mail accounts
will be offline in the morning - I assume this is due to the disconnection at
night.

Problem 1: In Kontact e35, there was a setting to get KMail to reconnect
automatically once the server is back - and that worked just fine.
Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find such a setting in the new KMail - is
there a way to get Kmail to reconnect automatically like in the old KMail?

Problem 2: Whenever the accounts have been offline, there seems to be a very
good chance that KMail will no longer collect mail in the INBOX of an account-
even after going back online. All mail in subfolders (I have sieve filters
running on the server) is flagged and displayed correctly, but very often, the
mail in the inbox is not. This has already caused me to miss some mails during
a work day... :-( Whenever this happens, the only way to get the inbox updated
again is to fier up akonadiconsole and do a "clear akonadi cache" on that
inbox, plus sometimes also restarting Kontact - highly annoying and not really
something I would like to have to tell our users to do.
Is this a known bug? I've been through the bugtracker, but did not quite find
this...

As usual: Any hints welcome!

Regards,

Thomas