[kdepim-users] me too

aa056 at pinc.com aa056 at pinc.com
Thu May 16 22:21:47 BST 2013

Used kmail for years with great success but version 2 is too much of a
mess. I tried, I really tried, but for all the reasons John outlined (see
below) I give up. Claws is fine, fast, simple, no 300Meg dependencies,
just email, fast and simple.

Too bad.

Dave

John Wilson wrote:

Once upon a time there was a nifty little email client called KMail.  It
quickly collected and sorted the mail.  It filtered well, it behaved well
with
spam and virus scanners and allowed me to "aggrigate" mail my way.  (Not
splitting threads between dates and goodness knows what other odd, arbitrary
notions someone had.  And soon, Kontact got wrapped around it and all seemed
good as they all played well together and respected each other's "space" as
well as mine.  (The long forgotten user.)

Since  upgrading to KMail2 I've had lost mail, frozen apps, Nepomuk
hogging as
much CPU time as it could get, followed by Virtuoso and throwing up strange
dialogs callled Conflict Resolution.   Which left for an "extended" period of
time, say 5 minutes, crashes KMail with no log entry to be found.

WTF is Conflict Resolution and why doesn't it resolve anything??

All good things must pass and it's time KMail/Kontact did.  Between a
migration script that did very little anything useful, thanking the computer
gods for backups so I could recover some stuff and docmentation that only a
code slinger could love and a host of excuses and no real resolution or
explaination, it's time to move on.

Between Akonodai and Nepomuk and "Conflict Resolution" I've come to the
conclusion that it's either lose all my emails or spend hours I don't have
manually putting things together again or move on.

It's been a great and rewarding relationship I and KMail have had over the
years.  Imagine that, an email app that did email and nothing else!  No
longer.

Burial time for KMail is set for Jan XX at 2:63pm with a nap to follow.  Then
power up Claws.  At tleast that still does email.  Not semantic desktops, not
some CPU hogging indexing but just email.

I'll probably give it a go again in a while when the list slows down on the
more than obvious flaws in the current Kmail.  Or when it actually
"aggrigates"
again or sorts mail again without fancy dividers that mess up searches and
other such things.  Just email.  There's no need for anything else guys, Just
do email.  Like you used to.

ttfn

John