[kdepim-users] (kmail2 woes) was me too

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed May 22 05:11:02 BST 2013

On 22/05/2013 00:38, huw wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 May 2013 23:25:00 Pablo Sanchez wrote:
>
>> You're writing KDE when you mean KMail2.  You can run other email
>> clients within KDE.
>
> I know that KDE, KMail and Kontact are all different things.  I've been
> frustrated by KDE as a whole recently, along with Kontact and KMail.
>
>> I am currently running Thunderbird with KDE.  While Thunderbird isn't
>> KMail2, it's solid enough.  Do to a memory leak (bug filed), I restart
>> it daily.  Other than that, T-bird does very well running within KDE.
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  I have used Thunderbird in the past and found
> it to be OK, but I like the concept of the integrated desktop.  That's why
> when I use KDE I also like to use the Kontact suite, and when I use Gnome I
> like to use Evolution.
>
> I was quite happy using Evolution on Gnome; the only reason I switched to KDE
> was because KDE is so much easier to configure and make my desktop my own.  At
> this point, however, I think I'd sacrifice a fair bit to have a desktop that
> works.

Just to be the odd one out I have no major issues with Kontact at the
moment - using KDE 4.10.0 on Kubuntu 12.10

The migration was a pain and I have more than once reversed from an
upgrade when mail address autocompletion went missing (as in 4.10.2) and
I am aware that search for email is a bit haphazard.

I have some 4 pop and 1 IMAP accounts and all I experience are minor
issues mainly related to filtering. The HTML editor needs revamping
(that is being done from what I have read) and admittedly I do not use
gpg encryption or signing.