[kdepim-users] kmail import issues

aa056 at pinc.com aa056 at pinc.com
Sat Mar 9 07:05:55 GMT 2013

Hi,

A few days ago I installed Fedora 18 Gnome. I ran all the updates and then
installed kmail. Pulled in about 200~ megs of dependencies. I have about
800K old mails on another disk in the system. Those mails were on whatever
kmail was current when I installed F14. I ran the kmail import program to
migrate those old mails to the current kmail.

The import program has been running for four days now. Top shows either
nepomuk or akonadi at the top of the load list, current 1 minute load at
about 7.5, 148% cpu. Import claims to be at about 98% overall for import
so I'd expect it to finish tomorrow. If this is a one time cost to import
that's actually ok, I don't upgrade very often and haven't done a fresh
install on a new drive for even longer. The import process appears to be
slowing greatly as it proceeds. Is it going exponential?

I don't plan to use kde and will rely on recoll for desktop search. From
what I can see there doesn't appear to be a flat file storage system like
mbox or maildir in this version of kmail. Is this correct? I'd be quite
happy to just move the files and rely on recoll for search. But am I
obliged to use akonadi and nepomuk for ordinary use of kmail? If I
interrupt the import and kill akonadi and nepomuk processes is anything
likely to blow up?

Any advice welcome, pointers to documents welcome too.

Dave