[kdepim-users] Kmailrc & Kmail2rc

Chris Glasoe crglasoe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 23:01:24 GMT 2013

On Friday, March 01, 2013 11:38:58 AM Jan Kowalsky wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Am Thursday, 28. February 2013, 23:27:10 schrieb Chris Glasoe:
> > Next question is the sync button.  In my understanding of syncing I
> > would want to make an entry say in my personal Kontact calendar
and
> > then have Kontact sync with my Gmail calendar and my eGroupware
> > calendar without me having to make another entry.
> >
> > In my installation I have to show my Gmail and eGroupware
calendars.
> > Of maybe I should say that they are activated in through the Akonadi
> > feature.  But I have to manually make an entry in each calendar.  This
is
> > true with contacts.
>
> I'm not shure, if I understand you right. What do you mean with your
> personal Kontact calendar?

Sorry, I mean the KDE traditional calendar resource (std.ics).

Whenever I make a new calendar entry I can allow the entry to a default
calendar (in this case the local, i.e.above) or another listed calendar
(which could be my Google calendar or eGroupware calendar.

> There are many possibilities zu show up calendars in kontact. The
default is
> a calendar in a local .ical file or similar. (Than there is nothing to
> sync). Further more you can use imap-folders of an "disconnected
imap" to
> store your calendar. This is the kontact - kolab idea to sync with an
kolab
> groupware installation. It's configurable that any new entry you make
> locally is loaded up immediately. But for the opposite direction you
have
> to sync manually with this "sync-button". E.G. if somebody else or you
with
> a different client changes the calendar on a kolab server. There are
> several other groupwares which are supported.  (with the akonadi
think I'm
> not familiar
So, if I understand making an entry in the ical or std.ics calendar the
entry should “automatically” show up in your Kolab example in the IMAP
disconnected calendar.  Is that right?

To my way of thinking this should be true in the groupdav
(caldav/carddav) option as well.  But my experience is that it does not
happen.

> Syncing means not that you can sync "different sources" of calendars
(eg. on
> google-calendar and on in egroupware and one kolab-calendar) with
each
> other. Syncing in my understanding means zu sync the locally cached
> informations between the local kontact-client (but the information
> belonging to an specific calendar) and the the server.
>
> While in one direction you don't need the sync-button in the other you
need
> - but maybe not for all groupware-servers (I don't know exactly ...)
>
> But still you have to decide in which calendar you want to make the
entry.
> My kontact (ver. 4.4.11) asks me every time in which calendar I want to
> make the new entry.
Same here.  Every time I make a new entry I am asked which calendar
or I can set a default in calendar settings.

> Does this answer your question (one of them)?
Sort of.  It also raises more questions/confusion.  For mew I am
expecting something like Outlook and active-sync with my old HP iPaq
or for that matter my mobile phone and Google calendar in the Android
world.  If I make an entry on either one they sync.

Now I am looking for Kontact to be the main hub syncing Google, to
eGroupware to mobile, to local.  I may be asking too much or I may have
made my system too complicated.  Should I just have Google, or
eGroupware be my calendar and use Kontact as a client to view that
calendar?  The problem is I want Google for personal use and
eGroupware for business.  And by having Kontact in between I have
local backup of both.

> Cheers
> Jan

Thank you for you help.