[kdepim-users] yet another failed KMail2 migration

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Jun 26 17:49:23 BST 2013

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 02:43:27 AM "O. Sinclair"
<o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the record I migrated (via "fresh install then import method") at
> least 2 years ago and I agree the ride has been bumpy at times. But
> currently, on Kubuntu 12.10 with KDE 4.10.4 (corresponding KDEPIM
> version) I have very few problems. This page still gives hinters and I
> used the "no migration" method, as mentioned:
>
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2

I've been using that guide from early on, enough that I made a script to
clear things away and restart. But I get stumped on an early stage - just
getting KMail to recognize or index or whatever it does to burn up CPU for
long periods just to show me data that KMail1 shows instantly. I've
actually seen it populate folders, and sometimes I can even read messages.
Sometimes. Because inevitably I click on a folder or a message line and get
the spinning "processing" animation that never stops and is carried over
from one KMail run (or akonadictl stop/start) to the next. I left the last
one to run overnight and this morning it has done exactly nothing.

I'm sure it'll work somehow, for a while anyway. Until something else
upsets its delicate balance, like the fellow in the next thread found.
There's just way too much code between the UI and the data it's supposed to
reach.

But today is a new day...