[kdepim-users] yet another failed KMail2 migration

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jun 26 10:49:38 BST 2013

On Wednesday, 2013-06-26, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 09:43:04 PM "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>

> > I always advice against using the migrator. Make a clean install,
> > recreate accounts and import old email following that is what has worked
> > for me.

Hmm, I thought the migrator had been disabled, i.e. first KMail2 run should no
longer invoke it manually.

> Seriously, email clients have been a Done Deal for 20 years at least for
> me, and here it is 2013 and KMail2 can't see messages in folders copied
> straight from a functional KMail1 setup, and when it can see messages it
> can't show the contents, from a tree of *text files* (maildir).

Of course it can.
The migrator tries to do more than that, it tries to preserve mixed
maildir/mbox trees that some old Kmail1 setups could have and also preserve
KMail1 index and tag information.
No other email program would do that and since it had been problematic in some
cases the recommended transition is to import.

Since you wrote "ran the kmail-migrator" did you mean you ran it manually?

> And all
> this for some misguided notion that we need some silly-ass binary (!)

Index files have always been binary, all caches of email programs are (no
parsing required, would be stupid for a cache).

> database to sit between us and that perfectly-good tree of *text files*,
> making KMail now as transparent as MS Exchange/Outlook.

Interesting, didn't know MS Exchange or Outlook had switched to standard
storage formats already.  Some form of maildir?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring