[kdepim-users] yet another failed KMail2 migration

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 09:43:27 BST 2013

On 26/06/2013 10:09, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 09:43:04 PM "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 25/06/2013 23:05, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
>>> OK, my fully-workable KDE 4.6.5 KMail doesn't import into KMail2 on
>>> KDE 4.10. I copied all the right files into place, ran kmail-migrator
>>> and had no errors reported. I opened KMail and though it sees my
>>> folder structure, it doesn't show any emails in the folders. A popup
>>> message says "resource kmail folders is broken" and stopping akonadi
>>> and then restarting it shows a bunch of these:
>>>
>>> akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_0(6653)/akonadiresource (maildir): "User
>>> canceled operation. (Folder /home/jerome/Mail/Avra does not seem to be
>>> a valid email folder)"
>>> akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_0(6653)/akonadiresource (maildir):
>>> "Folder /home/jerome/Mail/Avra does not seem to be a valid email
>>> folder" collection: Collection ID: 48    remote ID: "sent-mail"
>>>
>>>      name: "sent-mail"
>>>      url: KUrl("akonadi://?collection=48")
>>>      parent: 17 "Avra"
>>>      resource: "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_0"
>>>      rights: QFlags(0x1|0x2|0x4|0x8|0x10|0x20)
>>>      contents mime type: ("message/rfc822", "inode/directory")
>>>      isVirtual: false
>>>
>>>       CachePolicy:
>>>      inherit: true
>>>      interval: -1
>>>      timeout: 1
>>>      sync on demand: true
>>>      local parts: ("ENVELOPE")
>>>
>>>       CollectionStatistics:
>>>      count: -1
>>>      unread count: -1
>>>      size: -1
>>>
>>> That's funny, they were valid for KMail1. Nothing I find in Google
>>> tells me how to deal with either of these situations.
>>
>> I always advice against using the migrator. Make a clean install,
>> recreate accounts and import old email following that is what has worked
>> for me.
>
> And if that doesn't work - how do I get this giant turd to float?
>
> Seriously, email clients have been a Done Deal for 20 years at least for
> me, and here it is 2013 and KMail2 can't see messages in folders copied
> straight from a functional KMail1 setup, and when it can see messages it
> can't show the contents, from a tree of *text files* (maildir). And all
> this for some misguided notion that we need some silly-ass binary (!)
> database to sit between us and that perfectly-good tree of *text files*,
> making KMail now as transparent as MS Exchange/Outlook. 12 hours later and
> I'm still having to use my KMail1 setup to Actually Do E-Mail.
>
> So I guess my remaining question is "How can I use maildir with Claws-
> Mail?"

If that does not work (did you try?) then I seriously suspect your
choice of language will not get much positive response. And as for
Clawsmail I have no idea.

For the record I migrated (via "fresh install then import method") at
least 2 years ago and I agree the ride has been bumpy at times. But
currently, on Kubuntu 12.10 with KDE 4.10.4 (corresponding KDEPIM
version) I have very few problems. This page still gives hinters and I
used the "no migration" method, as mentioned:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2