[kdepim-users] Yet Another Troubled KMail2 Migration Successful (Maybe) (For Now)

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Jul 7 18:47:33 BST 2013

On Sunday, July 07, 2013 11:22:57 AM Antonio wrote:

> The combination of Kmail 1 + KDE 4.10.4 is available, I'm writing this
> message using it in the latest Kubuntu, and people report they are using
> Kmail 1 in the latest Debian and Gentoo (though we would have to see
> what KDE version).
>
> If I were you, I would look for the better alternative, not using Kmail 2
> if the problems were too many by now.

I'd love to have a solid alternative. Can those Debian/Gentoo packages be
massaged into RPMs for use in Fedora?

The problems are getting to be much too many now and my colleagues and I
are looking into alternatives. I lost another day when my finally-seemed-
stable setup lost messages during filtering, deleting them from my ~/Mail
store, on the way to making me a 341G (yes, G) .xsession-errors log.

This time I made extra effort to clean up my KMail1 ~/Mail before bringing
it into KMail2. KMail1 really tolerated a lot of cruft that had accumulated
in my ~/Mail. For other migrators, here's what I had to clean up:

X----------------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# Clean up a KMail1 ~/Mail for use in KMail2

# A working copy of your mail corpus
cd ~/Mail-canonical

# Some of these things come from a past attempt at using Claws-Mail
rm -rf draft queue sent Sigs Stationery .misc.directory .etc.directory

find . -name .claws_cache | xargs rm
find . -name .claws_mark  | xargs rm

# from a prior mbox->maildir conversion I think
rm *.index
rm *.index.ids

# advice from research
echo 'Empty Files:'
find . -type f -empty | xargs rm

X----------------------------------------------------------------------

This time I could stop Akonadi and move my ~/Mail into place, and then
spend the evening clicky-clicking to restore Identities, Accounts, Filters,
and Folder Properties. I've been getting practice. :)

Still, there are multiple sync issues, like your reply being moved into
seeming-oblivion when I moved it from my inbox (because half my filters
don't work anymore) into the folder I use for kdepim-users messages.
Closing KMail, waiting for my CPU to calm down, restarting Akonadi and then
KMail looks to be a regular fact of life with KMail2 until it either quits
needing that or we move to an alternative, which I'm thinking now should be
to move from POP mail to a local IMAP server.