[kdepim-users] How actually to migrate? (was: KMail from KDEPIM 4.10.2 with POP3)

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Apr 20 16:51:51 BST 2013

Am Donnerstag, 18. April 2013 schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 17/04/2013 10:42, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I tried KDEPIM 2 from KDEPIM 4.10.2 from Debian experimental packages
> > with POP3 accounts and got:

[… three data loss issues with bug report links …]

> > before I switched back to KDEPIM 4.4.11 and KDE SC 4.8.4.
> >
> > There might be a slight chance that the BTRFS /home filesystem is
> > involved, but I doubt it. It doesn´t scrub correctly right now, but
> > doesn´t show any other signs of trouble. Mail to BTRFS mailinglist
> > sent, but no reply so far it seems. Anyway, I was able to create a
> > backup with rsync just fine and BTRFS would have complained on a
> > checksum error and there is nothing in dmesg or syslog about any
> > filesystem trouble and btrfsck is happy as well. And no other oddities
> > and KMail 1 just working fine right now as well. But I thought I
> > mentioned it just in case.

Well the BTRFS filesystem had a bug. It has been found by a BTRFS developer.
I don´t know yet its impact. But I was able to rsync all files to my backup
disk once again today and I got no error from either rsync nor kernel. I am
working from a restauration of this backup just fine now.

> > I was surprised and troubled by these mail data losses in front of my
> > eyes, as I didn´t read anything about any data losses here for a
> > while.
[…]
> I use 5 POP accounts and 1 IMAP and I see no dataloss issues. I have
> some strange things related mainly to filtering, and then the most
> irritating problem that address autocompletion went missing between
> 4.10.1 and ..2 .
>
> It has been quite a while since I migrated and your method, to me, looks
> complicated. I set up an "empty" KMail, created my accounts and manually
> imported my existing mailfolders that I had moved to a backup.
>
> The migrator is known to have problems.

Thanks for heads up. Now I know that  András Manţia uses POP3. And according
to Kevin Krammer also Laurent Montel uses POP3. And you. And no data losses
for all of you.

I was about to try to migrate again to KDEPIM 2 as of 4.10.2 today. But
after some tries with the migrator I was sooo puzzled as on how to migrate,
I just gave up again. I redid my BTRFS filesystem before and maybe it was
just too much for one day, but still I found: I do not know in what way to
migrate.

1) Use the migrator? But then it uses a mixedmaildir resource and folder
order is strange.

2) Use one maildir resource and let it synchronize with my ~/Mail?

3) Use one maildir resource per account and let each one synchronize with
the account maildir?

4) Or is this synchronization triggering with existing maildirs from KMail 1
completely way off, and I better import those maildirs into an existing
"Local Folders" resource of KMail 2?

That said on each try to migrate and I got such many pop ups about invalid
folder settings and on calenders also missing kcal entries and what not,
that I do not feel too confident. And this time the Akonadi and Nepomuk stuff
has been on an Ext4 filesystem.

I am willing to try again, but I really like to have a plan, a clear picture
on how the migration is going to work. I didn´t found any clear instruction
on userbase.kde.org.

I just held a Linux Performance analysis and training course last week, but
today I admit I just don´t know how to migrate to KDEPIM 2 in a good
practice way.

What is supposed to work?

Calendar and addressbook are no issue. But mail is a big huge mess to get
sorted out nicely it seems to me. I use mail daily. It *has* to work.
Stably, reliably. Period.

Now I let sit this for at least another week, maybe I get a clearer picture
with some time.

Ciao,