[kdepim-users] How actually to migrate? (was: KMail from KDEPIM 4.10.2 with POP3)

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Apr 20 18:43:12 BST 2013

Am Samstag, 20. April 2013 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. April 2013 schrieb O. Sinclair:
> > On 17/04/2013 10:42, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[…]
> I was about to try to migrate again to KDEPIM 2 as of 4.10.2 today. But
> after some tries with the migrator I was sooo puzzled as on how to
> migrate, I just gave up again. I redid my BTRFS filesystem before and
> maybe it was just too much for one day, but still I found: I do not know
> in what way to migrate.
>
> 1) Use the migrator? But then it uses a mixedmaildir resource and folder
> order is strange.
>
> 2) Use one maildir resource and let it synchronize with my ~/Mail?
>
> 3) Use one maildir resource per account and let each one synchronize with
> the account maildir?
>
> 4) Or is this synchronization triggering with existing maildirs from
> KMail 1 completely way off, and I better import those maildirs into an
> existing "Local Folders" resource of KMail 2?
>

> That said on each try to migrate and I got such many pop ups about
> invalid folder settings and on calenders also missing kcal entries and
> what not, that I do not feel too confident. And this time the Akonadi
> and Nepomuk stuff has been on an Ext4 filesystem.
>

> I am willing to try again, but I really like to have a plan, a clear
> picture on how the migration is going to work. I didn´t found any clear
> instruction on userbase.kde.org.

Well there is something on:

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcelot/Final/Kubuntu/Kmail2

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE/KDEPIM-4.7_upgrade

I get more and more the impression, that I better import my old mails from
the KMail ~/Mail folder than to have maildir resource synchronize with it
directly. I thought the maildir resource would work if I made sure that no
mbox files are left in the ~/Mail folder. I made sure about that. But maybe
there are other subtile differences that might cause data loss?

Thanks,