[kdepim-users] IMAP -Exchange issues on new mail

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:07:18 BST 2012

 Hello Chris
> I am running OpenSuSE 12.1 with KDE 4.9.1. This situation happened in KDE
> 4.6, 4.7, and 4.8 but seemed to resolve itself shortly after each release.
> At this juncture the problem is not resolving. It may be time to head back
> to Thunderbird.

I am afraid, the problem you report is independent from the specific
client you are using.
See below a copy of my report submitted to the "Google Product Forums".
Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.

Hello Everybody,

ever since today, I experience difficulties to access the incoming
mail of GMAIL via IMAP - imap.gmail.com.

At my laptops, I work at the Linux distro Kubuntu 12.04, along with
KDE 4.9.1. The e-mail client I usually work with, is "KMail", a part
of the "Kontact" PIM suite. During about 3 years, I managed to work
quite well like this - until today.

In order to get more clarity about the problem, I have also tested 3
other mail clients:
+ Thunderbird and Evolution at Kubuntu;
+ the e-mail client of Android 4.0, at my mobile phone.

>From each of those 4 clients I get a similar message when trying to
set up an IMAP account:
"Unable to authenticate to IMAP server. Account exceeded command or
bandwith limits. (Failure.)"

Each of those 4 clients keep prompting for the password. But even when
giving in the correct one, a message like the one above keeps coming
back.

Taking into account the outcome of my experiments, as well as feedback
elsewhere at the internet, the problem must be some complication at
the servers of Google. Be so kind to fix the problem or to make some
"workaround" as soon as you can. Thanks, respectfully yours,,

Bas Roufs.