[kdepim-users] Migrating to another computer

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Thu Aug 30 11:23:11 BST 2012

On Thursday, 2012-08-30, Peter wrote:

> The major problem is I can't "see" any folders. despite renaming the (old)
> KMail folder to KMail2, and copying all mail to the (new) KMail2 folder.

Any specific reason for doing that?

> The 'rc' file (also different, it is now kmail2rc) has a "Folder'
> definition, which is correct at
>
> folders[$e]=$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kmail2/mail

KMail2 doesn't use such an entry since it doesn't access mails directly
itself.
You can create a Maildir or "KMail Folders" account handler on that directory
though. Wonder why that hasn't been done automatically, there is a helper tool
for that that runs on first startup of KMail2.

> copied kwalletrc
> backed up kmail2rc
> copied kmailrc --> kmail2rc
> copied kwallet.kwl
> renamed kmail folder on backup to kmail2
> copied all of kmail2
> copied /config/emaildefaults
> coped  /config/emailidentities
> copy mailtransports

Did you do those steps before running KMail2 the first time or afterwards?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring