[kdepim-users] KMail forgets POP/SMTP password

Andreas Mahel andreas at mahel.net
Thu Aug 16 19:02:41 BST 2012

Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2012, 09:44:50 schrieb Johann Rohwer:
> On Wednesday 15 August 2012 21:12:11 PastorJW wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 06:47:49 AM John Aldrich wrote:
> > > Hey, I've noticed recently that KMail (4.8.4 using KDE 4.8.4 on
> > > Fedora 17) seems to forget at least my SMTP password, despite the
> > > fact that I put it in the config and each time it asks for it, I
> > > put it in and check "remember password." Fortunately, this only
> > > seems to happen once whenever I start KMail. I normally leave it
> > > up, but my machine has developed a bad habit of shutting down
> > > spontaneously, and sometimes KMail will get hosed if I leave it
> > > running for days at a time and I have to shut it down and restart
> > > it. So, as you can see it's not like an every 5 minutes, but more
> > > like once or twice a day, but that's still aggravating to have to
> > > type your password in, when KMail is supposed to remember it.
> >
> > Yes, it happens on the same versions in Ubuntu also so it is a Kmail
> > fault rather than a distro fault.  It also is what has caused most
> > of my users to stay with 10.04 Ubuntu rather than moving to 12.04.
> > I only have 31 user machines that I take care of but 29 have stay
> > on the 10.04 because of this lack in Kmail.  The two which went to
> > 12.04 report there is no way to even save the password in Kmail.
> > it stays greyed out.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with Kmail 4.8.4 and it stores my SMTP password
> (for Gmail smtp) just fine. I think that it uses Kwallet for storing
> the passwords though, not the config file, have you installed that? I
> can't comment on POP passwords as I'm not using that but all my IMAP
> passwords are stored just fine as well.

I'm using opensuse 12.1 with kmail 4.9.0 (but the behavior has been the same
with 4.8.4 and before that).
My passwords (POP) are stored in kwallet, and this works basically fine. Only
sometimes -- preferred on the first sending of a mail -- kmail asks me for the
smtp password again.

However, when I cancel this dialog, and then select sending all messages from
the outbox from the file menu, it takes the password properly from kwallet
again.

So, while annoying, at least I don't have to key in the password again and
again.

Andreas
--
Wer Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf sie behalten.