[kdepim-users] KMail forgets POP/SMTP password

Johann Rohwer jr at sun.ac.za
Thu Aug 16 08:44:50 BST 2012

On Wednesday 15 August 2012 21:12:11 PastorJW wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 15, 2012 06:47:49 AM John Aldrich wrote:
> > Hey, I've noticed recently that KMail (4.8.4 using KDE 4.8.4 on
> > Fedora 17) seems to forget at least my SMTP password, despite the
> > fact that I put it in the config and each time it asks for it, I
> > put it in and check "remember password." Fortunately, this only
> > seems to happen once whenever I start KMail. I normally leave it
> > up, but my machine has developed a bad habit of shutting down
> > spontaneously, and sometimes KMail will get hosed if I leave it
> > running for days at a time and I have to shut it down and restart
> > it. So, as you can see it's not like an every 5 minutes, but more
> > like once or twice a day, but that's still aggravating to have to
> > type your password in, when KMail is supposed to remember it.
>
> Yes, it happens on the same versions in Ubuntu also so it is a Kmail
> fault rather than a distro fault.  It also is what has caused most
> of my users to stay with 10.04 Ubuntu rather than moving to 12.04.
> I only have 31 user machines that I take care of but 29 have stay
> on the 10.04 because of this lack in Kmail.  The two which went to
> 12.04 report there is no way to even save the password in Kmail.
> it stays greyed out.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 with Kmail 4.8.4 and it stores my SMTP password
(for Gmail smtp) just fine. I think that it uses Kwallet for storing
the passwords though, not the config file, have you installed that? I
can't comment on POP passwords as I'm not using that but all my IMAP
passwords are stored just fine as well.

E-pos vrywaringsklousule

Hierdie e-pos mag vertroulike inligting bevat en mag regtens geprivilegeerd wees en is slegs bedoel vir die persoon aan wie dit geadresseer is. Indien u nie die bedoelde ontvanger is nie, word u hiermee in kennis gestel dat u hierdie dokument geensins mag gebruik, versprei of kopieer nie. Stel ook asseblief die sender onmiddellik per telefoon in kennis en vee die e-pos uit. Die Universiteit aanvaar nie aanspreeklikheid vir enige skade, verlies of uitgawe wat voortspruit uit hierdie e-pos en/of die oopmaak van enige l��s aangeheg by hierdie e-pos nie.

E-mail disclaimer

This e-mail may contain confidential information and may be legally privileged and is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you may not use, distribute or copy this document in any manner whatsoever. Kindly also notify the sender immediately by telephone, and delete the e-mail. The University does not accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from this e-mail and/or accessing any files attached to this e-mail.