[kdepim-users] Preparing for KDEPIM 2

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Apr 12 15:46:54 BST 2012

Hi!

This is a bit longer. I want to get some handle on my migration to KDEPIM
2 instead of doing it ad-hoc without any previous planning and
preparations.

I talked about that I like to try KDEPIM 2 soon, and sooner or later I
intend to migrate to it completely. I am still a bit reluctant cause of
fear of data loss - I did not read anything regarding this for IMAP / POP3
for quite some time tough - and my relatively big mail setup.

Current situation:

KMail 1.13.7 from KDEPIM 4.4.5 within KDE SC 4.7.4. crm114 as very efficent
local spam filter that I am using within KMail.

martin at merkaba:~> du -sh Mail
14G     Mail
martin at merkaba:~> find Mail -type f | wc -l
455006

(on ext4 and an Intel SSD320)

There are way more mails than that, but the rest of them I archived as
mboxes in my main mail account which is a mixed maildir/mbox resource. I
tend to archive so that mail folders do not get bigger than about
30000-40000 mails. Easily 100 folders, which should not be an issue. Also
quite many filtering rules.

I still use POP3. In Mail are also some more POP3 accounts stored, which
do not need archiving. They do not contain many mails.

I think I like to continue using POP3 for freemail providers as I do not
like to store personal data there for long periods of time. But I am
considering to switch to disconnected IMAP for my main mail account with
should be about 99% of above mails. And another smaller mail account on
the same server.

These two mail accounts are Dovecot + Postfix + policyd-weight on a Debian
Squeeze VM.

Intended end results:

KDEPIM 4.8.2 or later.

Maybe main account as IMAP. But I could do this later to have only one
change at a time as well. Then I maybe would just start all over with an
empty account and let the server fill it over time. I think I would move my
inbox and some other important mails to the IMAP server, but I do not need
to copy old mailing list mails on it. Currently I would have about 8 GB of
free space on the server, which is not enough to hold all mails. I think I
could add more space to it tough.

I might be using dovecot-antispam plugging with CRM114 on the server then.
And hopefully Sieve will do for on-server filtering. Since its quite some
change I like to separate it from my migration to KDEPIM 2. Maybe before
or later. Before might ease the KDEPIM 2 migration.

Intended interim result:

KDEPIM 4.8.2 or later and my current setup alongside with different mail
sets and configurations. So I can safely try out KDEPIM 2 with a duplicated
mail user while still being able to use KDEPIM 1 for production.

Preparations that I intend to do:
- Migrate the mboxes to a different mbox only resource? I thought about the
following steps:
  - Create a new mail account and needed folders as MBox only if possible
  - Stop KMail
  - Move mbox and index files over to the new mail account manually
  - Start KMail
  - I think that would be way faster than trying to move several hundred
thousand of mails within KMail

- Maybe preparations for a test mail account, maybe IMAP on the server

Where I am bit stuck is to the best approach to test import of my current
mail set into KDEPIM 4.8.2 while still keeping my old setup around for the
time being. I can easily deliver mails to my main mail account to two
different mail users on the server, basically duplicating them there.

But what would be a good approach to handle two installations of KDEPIM
together with two different data sets and configurations?

I read that KDEPIM 2 uses different configuration files. But I am not sure
whether two different KDEPIM 2 installations can run alongside on the same
machine - except when using a VM on it. I know it is possible to compile
KDEPIM into a different directory, but what about two running Akonadi
servers? Well I have that when I fire up my private and my work KDE
sessions (different users).

Maybe the safest approach would be, to use a VM, copy ~/Mail and old mail
configuration to it and try from there. Or is there a reasonable approach
to have both KDEPIM versions concurrently on bare metal? Maybe just using
another local user and give it a newer KDEPIM version? Would KDEPIM 4.8.x
work together with KDE SC 4.7.4, or should I have a complete KDE SC 4.8.2
for the user?

Thing is I would like to have a way to test KDEPIM 2 without disrupting my
existing known-to-work setup. I would like to see KDEPIM 2 working nicely
for a while before switching to it altogether.

Anyway, next step is likely to take care of these mbox folders first and
separate them into a different account so that my main account can be
imported as maildir-only. I should be able to do that while using KDEPIM 1
already.

Ideas?

Ciao,