[kdepim-users] Kmail2 is definitely losing messages

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:07:13 BST 2011

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 16:18:58 +0100
ianseeks <ianseeks at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I happened to be in my Webmail account and watching kmail at the same
> time.  I had 2 messages come into the webmail account at the same
> time, and only one got picked up by kmail although both emails were
> set to being "read" in the webmail account interface.
> I did try to reset the missing mail to "unread" by kmail would still
> not pick it up.
> Is kmail2 actually picking up the emails or is akonadi responsible
> for this action? I guess i'm asking if the emails area stored in a
> staging area before kmail picks them up and can it be checked
> manually?

It's perhaps a little premature to be getting extremely worried just
yet.

I noticed the following behaviour when I still used kmail2 (I've since
moved on to claws and the machine kmail2 ran on crashed two weeks ago
so this is all from memory):

Often I would find mail sitting in an Akonadi "cache" directly, IIRC it
was something like ~/.local/share/cache/akonadi and a little later the
mail would suddenly magically appear in the messages list. This was
usually right after that annoying bug where the currently displayed
message would change to some new mail that had just moved into the same
folder after a fetch.

I concluded that akonadi's behaviour was to operate very asynchronously
and heavily cache things. If it considered it couldn't deal with a
message right away, it would cache it in the folder I mentioned then
deal with it at some later point. Restarting akonadi often brought
these message back right away, killing akonadi always seemed to lose
them entirely.

I haven't read the code so can't confirm any of this, it's just what I
concluded from watching the behaviour. Perhaps a dev can confirm or
deny it. Meanwhile, I recommend you go looking for that akonadi cache
and see if your missing messages are there.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com