[kdepim-users] open request to KDEPIM devs to address four long-standing regressions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Oct 16 20:47:04 BST 2011

Hi Pat,

On Sunday, 2011-10-16, pkbugs+kdepim at ssl-mail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've now got 250+ KDEPIM 4.7.1/2 users.
>
> There are four REGRESSIONS that I'm hearing a lot of complaining about
> from these users.

Lets see if we can find out when these were introduced.
It will be easier for the developers if we can specify how a respective
feature worked in previous KMail versions.

> (1) An option to turn off QR codes display in KDE Kontact

I am using KMail 1.13.7 here, could you point me to where I can toggle that?
Never got a QR code myself, so I don't know whether I would have it enabled or
not.

> (2) An option to display "Favorite Folders" as a list, rather than as
> icons

Interesting, didn't know that Favorite Folders has different forms of
visualization.
I thought that KMail 1.x only had list, can you point me to the option where
this can be toggled to icons?

> (3) Ability to sort accounts, and folders within accounts, "Manually, by
> drag & drop"

Hmm, I seem to be doing something wrong. When I drag a folder it only allows
me to copy or move a folder into another folder, on the same level they are
always sorted by the column showing sorting indicator.

Is there a setting for freely sortable folders or do I need to press&hold a
specific modifier key?

> (4) Fix search on IMAP folders

I can confirm that this works with KMail 1.13.7

> All of these issues are known, worked before, have been repeatedly
> reported as bugs/requests/forum posts/etc, and remain
> unaddressed/unfixed for various, unclear reasons.  Posting more
> redundant info to those same reports expecting a new/different result is
> only making things worse -- they're scattered all over the place.

Yeah, true. Way to few people helping with bug triaging :(
I think there is only one person doing that for KDE PIM at the moment.

> These issues are costing us time & money to support.  And remaining
> unfixed release after release is making it very difficult to drive &
> maintain successful end-user uptake.
> We're fending off user mutinies at this point; it's becoming cheaper &
> more productive to NOT use KDEPIM.  That's NOT the result I want, and
> hope that there are those in the dev community that might agree.
>
> Can we PLEASE get some developer attention to these?  KDE's user
> community members are happy to try to give you the info & support that
> you need, but it requires a conversation and some guidance.

Assuming you don't like losing money without any change, have you tried
contacting one of the companies which provide services around KDE, such as
custom development, SLA contracts, etc?

There is at least one company which did quite some customer driven
enhancements for KMail/Kontact before.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring