[kdepim-users] archiving emails

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Wed Oct 19 20:33:57 BST 2011

On Wednesday 19 October 2011, Robert Smits wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 August 2010 10:56:29 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 August 2010, Llewellyn Lee wrote:
> > > 3)  Removeable media like cd or dvd is prefered because  a second
> > > copy cheaply and conveniently  assures the security and safety of
> > > my data. I would thus rather use these than use a removeable
> > > type hard drive.
> >
> > You should really rethink this:
> > - CDs/DVDs are much less reliable than an external hard drive.
> > - CDs/DVDs are way too small for a backup of all of your data. And
> > you really should backup all of your data.
> > - CDs/DVDs are much slower than an external hard drive.
>
> The only problem I have with automatically moving old email to an
> archive folder is that it having all those messages in Kmail really
> slows it down.

Do you mean when accessing this folder? Or in general?

> It's true this is far worse in KDE 3.5 than in KDE4,
> but versions of KDE4 PIM that came out after Opensuse 11.2 are,
> IMHO, too crippled to use. I'd rather have a slower program than
> give up threading, proper distribution lists, etc.

Hmm. I have a local folder with more than 120,000 messages. Opening this
folder (with threading, but without grouping) takes about 25-30 seconds
using KMail 1.13.6 on openSUSE 11.4. Given the large amount of messages
and that I only very rarely look into this folder I think the time is
acceptable. Of course, your mileage may vary.