[kdepim-users] archiving emails

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Wed Oct 19 04:40:01 BST 2011

On Wednesday 25 August 2010 10:56:29 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 August 2010, Llewellyn Lee wrote:
> > 3)  Removeable media like cd or dvd is prefered because  a second
> > copy cheaply and conveniently  assures the security and safety of my
> > data. I would thus rather use these than use a removeable type hard
> > drive.
>
> You should really rethink this:
> - CDs/DVDs are much less reliable than an external hard drive.
> - CDs/DVDs are way too small for a backup of all of your data. And you
> really should backup all of your data.
> - CDs/DVDs are much slower than an external hard drive.
>

> Regards,
> Ingo

The only problem I have with automatically moving old email to an archive
folder is that it having all those messages in Kmail really slows it down.
It's true this is far worse in KDE 3.5 than in KDE4, but versions of KDE4 PIM
that came out after Opensuse 11.2 are, IMHO, too crippled to use. I'd rather
have a slower program than give up threading, proper distribution lists, etc.

I suppose I could drag the folders to somewhere else, but then I couldn't look
through them easily.
Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca