[kdepim-users] how to synchronize kmail2 etc. between two machines?

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Wed Nov 23 20:21:59 GMT 2011

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> [ Comments below, in-line ]
>
> On Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at 04:36 AM, Andras Mantia penned
> about Re: [kdepim-users] how to synchronize kmail2 etc. between two
> machines?
>
> Hi Andras,
>
>> > Does anyone have any information on how to synchronize two
>> > machines with akonadi in the mix?  I only wish to apply the deltas
>> > and not re-create the entire akonadi database every time.
>>
>> I just sync the maildir folders, the (local) addressbook, kmail
>> configuration (not the akonadi config and database!).
>
> Did it work?  :)
>
> Luckily, I don't use IMAP.  Just POP3.

Yes, it works for both IMAP and POP3. With POP3 there was an annoying bug,
that new mails (new on the target machine) appeared as unread, but I fixed
that already for 4.7.2. :)

>> In theory you could sync the whole database file and configuration,
>> but you have to make sure the akonadi server is shut down on both
>> source and target machines before synchronization. I never tried it,
>> so cannot guarantee the success.
>
> As a DB person, I know the perils of trying to synchronize a
> database.  :)

If you try and works, please document the steps.

>> Yes, initial import is long and will take a lot of memory (in case
>> the memory usage doesn't go down after import, you can restart the
>> server).
>
> Ah, that explains why I'm swapping - which of course leads to slow
> decay in conversion speed.
>
> Luckily it's relatively easy for me to divide the e-mail folders into
> smaller more manageable chunks.  I'll try import them in 20K units
> That seems to be an okay size.  Although I wonder if it's more
> allocation than sheer number ...

I tried to find the cause of the memory usage, but so far couldn't. :( The
maildir resource (if you use maildir and not the old KMail format that mixes
maildir and mbox, you should set up a Maildir resource and not KMail
Maildir, also named mixedmaildir) doesn't seem to leak memory in the sense
of not deleting pointers, still importing large folders the memory usage
goes up. It is probably memory fragmentation due to lot of new/delete calls.

Anyway, as an user, you could do two things:
- disable sync on mail check for the Local folders (or other maildir
resource) and synchronize the folders one by one. In normal case just a
click on the folder starts the sync, if not use the context menu.If the
memory usage goes out of control and swapping starts, restart the maildir
agent.
- set up the maildir resource pointing to an empty maildir and copy there
the mails in bunches (in command line, or with dolphin). The maildir
resource monitores the directories, so newly appeared mail files should be
recognized immediately.

Andras