[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Andreas Zeller a-zeller at web.de
Sat Nov 5 10:35:05 GMT 2011

Am 04.11.2011, 20:57 Uhr, schrieb Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Friday, 2011-11-04, Andreas Zeller wrote:
>> Am 03.11.2011, 12:25 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson
>> <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Now I wan't to reorganize the recourses.
>>
>> KDE Address Book (traditional), stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf
>> contains 332 files like 0zOAxp8Uzi (without file extension) and seems to
>> work fine.
>>
>> Personal Contacts, stored in ~/.local/share/contacts/ contains 225 files
>> like N2Hc4XYPUi.vcf But there are some contacts lost and no pictures
>> stored.
>>
>> So is it a good idea to remove Personal Contacts in the Akonadi Resource
>> Configuration? What about the files in ~/.local/share/contacts/ ?
>
> Theoretically the Personal Contacts should be able to handle the same
> data. My
> guess is that the loss happend during automated import of one into the
> other.
>
> There is nothing wrong with just keeping the data in
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but the so called traditional address book
> resource could be a bit problematic [1].

Whats the Information behind [1]? I still wonder what the benefits of
Akonadi are for a simple user like me (no Grouware). Till now there are
only complications.

> Depending on whether you want to check out alternatives you could do two
> things
> - copy the contents of stdvcf directory to another director (so the
> orginal
> remains safe) and point either a vcard directory resource or a personal
> contacts resource to that directory
> - clear out the personal contacts resource you have (either through
> kaddressbook or by stopping akonadi and removing all files in
> ~/.local/share/contacts/) and copy the contacts from the traditional
> address
> book (again either through KAddressBook or by file copy with akonadi
> stopped).

I removed the Personal Contacts in KAdddressbook and removed (renamed) the
folder. Than I added a new Personal Contacts-recourse in Akonadi and
imported my backup-vCard-file (*.vcf) and it worked fine. Now I have all
contacts and pictures again. And I could see a progress bar during import.
;)

>> And what about the BACKUP?
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups (and
>> even the German Version) is not really helpful. My home-backup will
>> contain all files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but restore (copy)
>> them
>>  from a backup will cause inconsistency in the database, am I right?
>
> That shouldn't be a problem. The resource will not pick up changes in
> the file
> system automatically (if I rememeber correctly), but an addressbook
> reload or
> Akonadi restart should do that.

So if there are again some problems, I will stop Akonadi, copy the files
 from my rsnapshot-backup in ~/.local/share/contacts/ and start Akonadi
again and all will be fine? Sound not really complicated.

>> I can't fount Akonadi tray icon.
>
> That application is called akonaditray, should be part of the
> kdepim-runtime
> module (which also contains the resources).
>
>> Is there a way to backup/export akonadi recourses automated?
>
> Not yet. We had a Google Summer of Code student working on that but the
> code
> isn't anywhere near usable right now.

I make backups of /home/USER on an hourly basis so
~/.local/share/contacts/ is included. But a scheduled export in a
vCard-file would be a good idea, I think.