[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 6 22:49:16 GMT 2011

On Saturday 05 November 2011, Werner Joss wrote:
> just to add my personal opinion on the subject:
> I consider the cluttering of pim-data/configurations in ~/.config,
> ~/.local, ~/.kde (and probably elsewhere, too) which came with kde4,
> a great mess. as one can see from teh discussions here, many people
> have no more clue where to look if something goes wrong or gets
> lost.

You fail to understand that
a) ~/.config and ~/.local are new standard folders for user config and
user data
b) Akonadi config/data does not be into ~/.kde because Akonadi is not
KDE-specific

> sure, backing up just $HOME as a whole is a 'simple' solution,
> but far from elegant, as this also saves all sorts of cruft (caches,
> temp. files...).

Maintaining a whitelist of things to backup is not nearly as easy as
maintaining a blacklist of things not to backup. If your whitelist
misses crucial entries then you risk losing data. OTOH, if your
blacklist misses entries then the worst that can happen is that you
waste a bit of storage space on your backup medium because you are
backing up stuff you do not need to back up.

Currently, I regularly backup $HOME except for
        lost+found/
        core
        .nfs*
        *~
        .cache/*
        .enigma/thumbs/*
        .fontconfig/*cache-2
        .java/deployment/cache/*
        .kde*/share/apps/kio_http/cache/*
        .kde*/share/apps/kpdf/[0-9]*.xml
        .kde*/share/cache/*
        .kde*/share/thumbnails/*
        .mozilla/**/Cache/*
        .opera/cache4/*
        .thumbnails/*
        .xmoto/LCache/*
        .xvpics/*
        compiled/*

> this is also one of the reasons why I recently switched back to kde 3
> (trinity, to be precise) after having tried all kde4 versions from
> 4.0 to 4.6.
> and guess what: it was like coming home from a long journey :)

Some people enjoy returning to their village after having tried the big
city. Others cannot let go of the big city despite of all the
disadvantes living in the big city has. :-)