[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Mon Nov 7 16:24:01 GMT 2011

On Sunday 06 November 2011 23:49:16 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> You fail to understand that
> a) ~/.config and ~/.local are new standard folders for user config and
> user data
> b) Akonadi config/data does not be into ~/.kde because Akonadi is not
> KDE-specific

I don't think I failed to understand that, I just find it inconvenient to
configure a kde desktop elsewhere than in ~/.kde
(yes, I know akonadi is meant to be a 'general purpose' framework with the
intention to also be used by others (gnome ?), but honestly, did this happen
anywhere ?)

> > sure, backing up just $HOME as a whole is a 'simple' solution,
> > but far from elegant, as this also saves all sorts of cruft (caches,
> > temp. files...).
>
> Maintaining a whitelist of things to backup is not nearly as easy as
> maintaining a blacklist of things not to backup. If your whitelist
> misses crucial entries then you risk losing data. OTOH, if your
> blacklist misses entries then the worst that can happen is that you
> waste a bit of storage space on your backup medium because you are
> backing up stuff you do not need to back up.

ok, that makes sense..

> > this is also one of the reasons why I recently switched back to kde 3
> > (trinity, to be precise) after having tried all kde4 versions from
> > 4.0 to 4.6.
> > and guess what: it was like coming home from a long journey :)
>
> Some people enjoy returning to their village after having tried the big
> city. Others cannot let go of the big city despite of all the
> disadvantes living in the big city has. :-)

my preference has always been the little village (not only related to
computers..) as in 'small is beautiful' ;-)

werner