[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 6 22:34:33 GMT 2011

<cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> > > The database should be able to pick them up, but if you have
> > > backed up ~/.local/share/akonadi you will also be able to
> > > restore the database at the
> > > time that they matched, so that should be OK.
> >
> > That's sounds like the data was stored in
> > ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/ibdata1 and
> > ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/akonadi/collectionable.idb as I
> > asumed?
>
> Those locations should only contain data temporarily, e.g. as a
> cache. I.e. data in there can usually be restored through the
> resources.
>
> > So
> > a backup of ~/ is enough for a efficient backup? Also for my
> > Calender which is stored in /~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics?
>
> See below.
>
> > > At some point in the 4.6.x series the tray icon was lost and was
> > > replaced by
> > > Akonadi Console, which you should be able to find listed if you
> > > put Akonadi
> > > into KRunner (Alt-F2).
> >
> > I have several Akonadi programs installed but non of them is called
> > "console" and non of them offers me a backup and restore function
> > as written here:
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook#Organising_Backups
>
> The program executable is akonadiconsole, probably in a separate
> package since it is more a developer/internal tools.
>
> > But that doesn't matter if...

> > > I don't think so, yet.  Making it part of a scheduled backup is
> > > the best bet.
> >
> > ...my backup of ~/ is sufficient?
>
> Yes. I always backup $HOME since I also want backup of all my other
> data :) It is definitely sufficient to backup PIM data, have been
> doing that for about a decade now.

Yes, making a backup of $HOME is the right thing to do (although you can
exclude a few directories which only contain caches).

But there's a small catch: You should make the backup when you are _not_
logged in. Otherwise you risk backing up inconsistent data, e.g. a
running application might not yet have written everything to disk. This
is particularly important if databases are involved.