[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Nov 5 12:15:01 GMT 2011

Am Samstag, 5. November 2011 schrieb Andreas Zeller:
> Am 04.11.2011, 20:57 Uhr, schrieb Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > On Friday, 2011-11-04, Andreas Zeller wrote:
> >> Am 03.11.2011, 12:25 Uhr, schrieb Anne Wilson
> >> <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:
> >>
> >> Now I wan't to reorganize the recourses.
> >>
> >> KDE Address Book (traditional), stored in
> >> ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf contains 332 files like 0zOAxp8Uzi
> >> (without file extension) and seems to work fine.
> >>
> >> Personal Contacts, stored in ~/.local/share/contacts/ contains 225
> >> files like N2Hc4XYPUi.vcf But there are some contacts lost and no
> >> pictures stored.
> >>
> >> So is it a good idea to remove Personal Contacts in the Akonadi
> >> Resource Configuration? What about the files in
> >> ~/.local/share/contacts/ ?
> >
> > Theoretically the Personal Contacts should be able to handle the
> > same   data. My
> > guess is that the loss happend during automated import of one into
> > the   other.
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with just keeping the data in
> > ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but the so called traditional address
> > book resource could be a bit problematic [1].
>
> Whats the Information behind [1]? I still wonder what the benefits of
> Akonadi are for a simple user like me (no Grouware). Till now there
> are   only complications.

Asynchronous operation of your PIM applications. Mails can be received,
send and filtered in the background for example. Several applications can
use Akonadi with the same dataset. So if someone wants to develop an
alternative to KMail he/she can do so while still using the same mail
data. PIM applets can use the same data than the big applications.

Then Akonadi has nothing to do with being a Groupware solution at all,
unless there happens to be a server component that could run on another
machine than localhost and synchronize data with the Akonadi on the
localhost.

> > Depending on whether you want to check out alternatives you could do
> > two things
> > - copy the contents of stdvcf directory to another director (so the
> > orginal
> > remains safe) and point either a vcard directory resource or a
> > personal contacts resource to that directory
> > - clear out the personal contacts resource you have (either through
> > kaddressbook or by stopping akonadi and removing all files in
> > ~/.local/share/contacts/) and copy the contacts from the
> > traditional   address
> > book (again either through KAddressBook or by file copy with
> > akonadi   stopped).
>
> I removed the Personal Contacts in KAdddressbook and removed (renamed)
> the   folder. Than I added a new Personal Contacts-recourse in Akonadi
> and imported my backup-vCard-file (*.vcf) and it worked fine. Now I
> have all contacts and pictures again. And I could see a progress bar
> during import. ;)

This sounds like an optimal state for me.

I have this since quite some time and up to now I never missed a single
contact.