[kdepim-users] Kontact save location?

Andreas Zeller a-zeller at web.de
Sun Nov 6 10:49:38 GMT 2011

Am 05.11.2011, 13:15 Uhr, schrieb Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de>:

> Am Samstag, 5. November 2011 schrieb Andreas Zeller:
>> Am 04.11.2011, 20:57 Uhr, schrieb Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:

[...]

>> > There is nothing wrong with just keeping the data in
>> > ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/stdvcf but the so called traditional address
>> > book resource could be a bit problematic [1].
>>
>> Whats the Information behind [1]? I still wonder what the benefits of
>> Akonadi are for a simple user like me (no Grouware). Till now there
>> are   only complications.
>
> Asynchronous operation of your PIM applications. Mails can be received,
> send and filtered in the background for example. Several applications can
> use Akonadi with the same dataset. So if someone wants to develop an
> alternative to KMail he/she can do so while still using the same mail
> data. PIM applets can use the same data than the big applications.

That's no benefit for me because I use Opera for eMail, feeds and Usenet
since years now. I just need Contacts and Calendar but that's just my two
cents.

> Then Akonadi has nothing to do with being a Groupware solution at all,
> unless there happens to be a server component that could run on another
> machine than localhost and synchronize data with the Akonadi on the
> localhost.

That's what I'm looking for: a server (on my Synology NAS) for my Contacts
and Calendar so I can use them also with my Laptop oder mobile devices.