[kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Fri Nov 25 13:28:12 GMT 2011

John Aldrich wrote:

> Andras... since you seem to be "in the know" regarding KMail2, let me ask
> you this...WHY does it keep freaking out and giving me the "Retrieving
> folder contents"????

Well, I can just guess what you use and what you see.

Where does it happen? Maildir? Online IMAP? Disconnected IMAP?
Do you use sqlite or mysql as the akonadi backend?

I saw this bug with sqlite.

And some people report it for online imap (with mysql). I never could
reproduce it, but with another user we tried to debug and I gave a patch to
try out, if helps, but didn't hear back  yet (this was in the past days).

> How do I fix this so that it doesn't happen? I'm
> somewhat used to that from KMail1 and IMAP, but why in $DEITY's name does
> this happen on a LOCAL folder?????? It SHOULD NOT HAPPEN for locally
> stored messages! This is NOT some fancy network-based storage system, this
> is a local hard drive in my local PC.

So it is a local maildir. Look at the akonadi processes and tell me if you
see akonadi_maildir_resource or akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource running. Also
tell me if you use sqlite or mysql.

> And why do my filters keep getting deleted when this happens and I close
> KMail???

There was a bug, but to my knowledge it is fixed (also in KDE 4.7, in KDE
4.8 it is for sure).

> Speaking of filters, why does it seem that they get ignored and
> email gets dropped in my inbox instead of the appropriate folder? And if I
> manually move messages, why do they reappear in my inbox after I've moved
> them out?

Both can have multiple causes. Running akonadi from a console (akonadictl
restart) and doing the same for kmail might reveal some errors.
Some questions here as well:
- does the filter work if you apply manually on a mail (ctrl-j on a message)
- enable Tools->Filter log viewer, and see how your filters are applied.
Also check that they indeed move the mails to the right folder.
- is the mail moved in the file system itself when you manually move?

Andras