[kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Nov 26 10:33:58 GMT 2011

Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 24. November 2011 schrieb Pablo Sanchez:
> I tried to manually migrate from kmail to kmail2 (export kmail folders
> and import them to kmail2) however it was taking way way too long.
> kmail2 was eating nearly 2 GiB of RAM.

>From all I read, it sounds that KMail2 can become quite a challenge even
for my new ThinkPad T520 with Intel i5-2520M Sandybridge Dualcore, 8 GB of
RAM and Dualcore.

And if thats soo, frankly I am quite happy that the Debian Qt/KDE team is
not yet finished with KDE 4.7.x packages. Maybe it would even be better to
wait for KDE 4.8.

I have folders with upto 30000-40000 mails. That was the limit that my old
ThinkPad T42 was willing to cope with in a sensible time. KMail 1 is
archiving older mails to mboxes which even have more than mail that. Only
at work with Zimbra I have a folder - linux-kernel mailinglist - with
250000+ mails. And accessing it from the quite good Zimbra web interface
scales like nothing I have ever seen before. They also use a database for
mail meta data - MySQL. They use a Lucense search index. And they scale.
But maybe that is, cause its done on the server which is always on. But
then for accessing folders at the first time something needs to be done.
And that something never exceeds 5-10 seconds or so, even with that insane
250000+ mail folder.

One trick they do in the web interface is the following:

When accessing a folder they just display the most current 1000 messages
or so. Then when you scroll down more gets displayed.

I find this quite smart. Maybe this on-demand retrieving could help
mitigate some of KMail 2 performance problems. Until they are solved for
real.

Thanks,