[kdepim-users] Re: Akonadi + nfs home directories

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Mar 29 20:10:10 BST 2011

Am Dienstag, 29. März 2011 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> Am Dienstag, 29. März 2011 schrieb Lars Behrens:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > as OpenSUSE will stop support for 11.2 we will have to upgrade to
> > an actual version, which means I will have to deal with akonadi
> > setup for our users.
> >
> > We have a workinggroup here with external home directories
> > mounted to the clients via nfs, which is a problem with akonadi
> > (libakonadi4-4.6.0-4.7.1 and akonadi-runtime-1.5.0-3.3.1 here).
>
> huch, I never knew that there is a problem with akonadi and nfs. I
> use nfs home drives since many years without major problems. Only
> akonadi trouble I had was a problem that akonadi was shutdown
> after dbus (or may be took to long to shutdown and was forced) and
> with the next start this gave an error at the first akonadi start.
> Strange enough I have it again with kde 4.6.1. (The error is there
> in kde 4.5.5, but kmail starts anyway contrary to kde 4.6.1)
>
> I use nfs4, centos 5 as server and fedora 14 as client.

I dig a little bit into it. running akonadi on nfs home directories is
not recommended. This is inherited from the underlying database
(mysql). But it works, nless you don't login on two different
computers with the same user and start akonadi twice. Network must be
reliable of course.

As someone on the mailing list pointed out, it is common in enterprise
environment to share home directories via nfs. So the bad news is:
akonadi is not enterprise ready (as long as nfs is used). Good news:
they are working on it.

But nfs is no solution on the long run anyway. With laptops sometimes
connected to the net and sometimes not you have to choose different
home sync functionality. For my laptop users I do an rsync via ssh of
the home drive at login and logout. May be it is time to do it for
desktop computers as well. If there are not that many files in home
directory it is quite fast (compressed rsync). And a network breakage
will not kill your session.

Martin