[kdepim-users] Kontact issues - fails to start if it can't open KWallet, Akonadi still mangling contact files

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 13:29:43 GMT 2011

I think I have found a way to break Kontact in KDE4.6. Having upgraded my
system, I had to restart Kontact, and suddenly it didn't work. Much fiddling
showed that all the individual components worked properly as standalone apps. At
some point I noticed a KWallet message to the effect that "an app may be
misbehaving".

On a reboot, Kontact works again. I think the issue is that if you forget to
tell KWallet to "allow always" it fails to send the request for access to the
wallet, can't open some resource, and crashes. But it's not evident that this is
happening - no error message, I can't find anything in system logs, no sign of
it in the KWallet manager.

And Shiny New Akonadi has truncated my contacts file after 11 KB again and
inserted a bunch of random invalid characters. Fortunately I have backups.

--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail to
lists complaining about them