[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact 4.6 / KMail2

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:09:55 BST 2011

On 24/06/2011 08:22, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2011-06-23, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Is there any place where one might find some info on how the new kdepim
>> is SUPPOSED to look and function? I have put out a query on various
>> forums on what is the meaning and purpose of the folder structure in
>> KMail2.
>>
>> Being in my case:
>> KMail folders w subfolders containg all my old and new mail
>> Local folders w subfolder Outbox containing nothing
>> Akonadi_maildir_resource3 w subfolder Outbox containing nothing
>
> After migration the KMail folders should usually be the only one.
>
> Local folders is created by the mail sending service as a base for its outbox
> and sent-mail folders. The migrator tries to replace that with the respective
> folders from KMail folders and it usually succeeds with that (obviously didn't
> when you ran it).
> There is currently no UI way of swtiching that manually as far as I know, only
> by editing a config file [1].
>
> Not sure what created the maildir resource and why, most likely a bug.
>
>> Is this even correct after a migration, what is the point of the new
>> "main folders" and their subfolders?
>
> There are some programs that rely on certain folders being present and create
> default locations for them if they are not.
> Usually the migrator takes care of that but it looks to have failed to do that
> for some reason (e.g. the other resource not completely empty, etc).
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> [1] File is specialmailcollectionsrc, it contain the identifier of the Akonadi
> mail resource responsible for outbox, sent-mail and drafts.
> Resource identifiers can be obtained through the Akonadiconsole tool.
> When changing the value in the config file, first shutdown Akonadi (akonadictl
> stop) then change file then restart Akonadi (akonadictl start).

Thanks for the reply - it "sort of" cleared the fog. I can not remove
"Local Folders" or "Akonadi_maildir_resource_3" from Kmail as noted.

the specialmailcollectionsr file contains two lines:
[SpecialCollections]
DefaultResourceId=akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_0

and I can not install akonadiconsole... it has a dependency on something
from an earlier SC version.

I can live with this, my main irritations are 2 at this moment:
1. KMail/trash does not get emptied on exit despite being set "Empty
local Trash on exit".
2. Occasional freezes when something Kontact reports as "conflicts"
on certain mails occur (I only use pop accounts) - have not yet managed
to figure it out, it happens a few times a day. If I am in KMail and
catch the message I can choose between "left one" and "right one", any
answer works. If I am not and take no action for a while KMail
freezes/hangs. I have a feeling it is related to gmail account but not sure.