[kdepim-users] Re: Kontact 4.6 / KMail2

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 24 07:22:01 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-06-23, O. Sinclair wrote:
> Is there any place where one might find some info on how the new kdepim
> is SUPPOSED to look and function? I have put out a query on various
> forums on what is the meaning and purpose of the folder structure in
> KMail2.
>
> Being in my case:
> KMail folders w subfolders containg all my old and new mail
> Local folders w subfolder Outbox containing nothing
> Akonadi_maildir_resource3 w subfolder Outbox containing nothing

After migration the KMail folders should usually be the only one.

Local folders is created by the mail sending service as a base for its outbox
and sent-mail folders. The migrator tries to replace that with the respective
folders from KMail folders and it usually succeeds with that (obviously didn't
when you ran it).
There is currently no UI way of swtiching that manually as far as I know, only
by editing a config file [1].

Not sure what created the maildir resource and why, most likely a bug.

> Is this even correct after a migration, what is the point of the new
> "main folders" and their subfolders?

There are some programs that rely on certain folders being present and create
default locations for them if they are not.
Usually the migrator takes care of that but it looks to have failed to do that
for some reason (e.g. the other resource not completely empty, etc).

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] File is specialmailcollectionsrc, it contain the identifier of the Akonadi
mail resource responsible for outbox, sent-mail and drafts.
Resource identifiers can be obtained through the Akonadiconsole tool.
When changing the value in the config file, first shutdown Akonadi (akonadictl
stop) then change file then restart Akonadi (akonadictl start).

KDE user support, developer mentoring