[kdepim-users] Re: Migration mixedmail resource fails [SOLVED]

Günter Lichtenberg lichten at arcor.de
Sun Jun 12 22:01:29 BST 2011

On Sunday 12 Jun 2011 20:24:37 Kevin Krammer wrote:

> > inbox/cur directories. I was also able to look at one of the files with
> > more.
>
> Very strange.
>
> > Could it be that the access rights are too open? The rights are currently
> > at 755. I remember dimly that ssh does not work if acess to .ssh is not
> > 700 or so...

Hi

I found a solution though I do not understand it. Here is what I tried (might
help to exclude these things for other users):

> While my ~/Mail and its subdirectories is indeed 700, I don't think the
> access checks are that sophisticated.
> Can't hurt to try though.

Changed permissions, that did not help - as expected

> Additionally you could rename/move Mail and create
> Mail/
> Mail/inbox
> Mail/inbox/cur
> Mail/inbox/new
> Mail/inbox/tmp
> manually and check what the KMail folders resource says to that.

Did move Mail to Mail-org and created new directories and migration worked. I
could also get new mails and they were correctly retrieved from the pop3
account.

Then looked at the orginal Mail folder again. There I saw an empty folder
'oldindex'. Although I do not remember it, it could be that  I created it to
move the index files of kmail to while I was experimenting with beta versions
of kdepim earlier this year. I removed this folder and now everything seems to
work. So apparently it was my dumb mistake.

I checked the messages from the failed migration, but a message with a
reference  'oldindex' did not appear, so the messages of migrator/kmail are
somewhat misleading. If you like me to dig further into that I could try,
although this could take a while since my time is rather limited at the
moment.

Other remarks (not complaining, just observing):
- After migration I had to go to the top Kmail folder and make a manual
'Update folder and its subfolders' to see the mails (but maybe I did not wait
long enough, although it was a minute or so)

- After I closed the migrator window during some of the migrations (I always
started from scratch for all the tests), a kwallet dialogue saying

"There have been repeated failed attempts to gain access to a wallet. An
application may be misbehaving."

popped up. I closed it and it did not hurt. Maybe it was a side effect of
starting/stopping akonadi and not do the same with related services like
nepomuk.

So, sorry to have bothered you, after all it was apparently my mistake.  I
really appreciate all the work you do for kdepim and happily use it for over
10 years now.

Cheers
gl