[kdepim-users] Re: Looking for a "smartphone" that can cooperate with Kubuntu 10.10 together with Kontact.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:05:35 GMT 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 23:09, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> At present, I am looking for a new "smartphone" up to max. €200. The
> device must be able to:
> * at least easily exchange data with Kubuntu 10.
> * if possible, "synchronise" with the calandar/ agenda and contacts of
> Kontact;
> * share an internet connection (like a modem) with my laptop via
> "thethering" - via USB, Bluetooth or Wifi;
> * easily import and export contacts: in vCard and/or via Google/GMAIL.
> Does anybody have experience with a smart phone that meets these demands?
>
> One of the phones I am considering, is a "HTC Wildfire A3333", with an
> Android OS. Specifications:
> http://www.mobiles-world.com/mobile-phone/htc/htc-wildfire-a3333-2gb-unlocked-mobile-phone-black-brown
> Does anybody have experience with this specific phone together with
> Kubuntu and Kontact?
>
> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

Hi Bas. After using KOrganizer and Kaddressbook for years I've
recently abandoned them for Google's calendar and contacts. They are
not perfect, but I can access them in any device. As I had abandoned
Kmail for Thunderbird years ago I found a Thunderbird addon that opens
two additional Thunderbird tabs: one for contacts and one for
calendar. There is no integration between my Thunderbird contacts and
my Google contacts, I actually want it that way!

I have been following various syncing solutions since about 2006 to
sync _any_ phone, and every year I ask on the opensync list which
phone I should buy to sync with KDEPIM. The answer has always been
"none". The only really viable solutions for real PIM data on the
phone are to use Outlook in Windows, or to use Google. Evolution has
some tenuous syncing ability but every new Evolution or Opensync
version will break it.

One thing that you might want to look at is Kolab. I recently
conversed with a Kolab developer and the next version should support
the then-to-be current KDEPIM and syncing. It's too in-the-future for
me at the moment, but you might find it usable. I don't really
remember the details.

All that said, I look forward to returning to KDEPIM when there will
be a syncing solution, and I will buy the device that works with it.
That's why I'm still subscribed here!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il