[kdepim-users] Re: KMail composer tab stop settings?

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Jan 7 21:15:38 GMT 2011

On Friday 07 January 2011, Adam Spragg wrote:
> Dear kdepim users,
>
> Having happily used KMail for a number of years, I've just had to try
> and format a little table in an email, for which I used tabs to line
> up the columns.
>
> The tab stops in KMail composer seem to be set to 4 spaces, which
> seems unusual compared to the more standard 8 spaces, and is
> unlikely to be how the recipient's client will display them. Indeed,
> if I view the mail I sent in my "sent-mail" folder, the table there
> is shown as if tab stops were 8 spaces.
>
> I've searched the KMail settings, and the tubes, and the only other
> reference I can find to this is:
>   <http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2009-06/msg00046.html>
> where the responder claims that this is not really the case, but
> merely an illusion from using a proportional font. I am not using a
> I can *see* that I am using a fixed font.
>
> Can anyone else confirm this, and does anyone know of a way to get
> composer to use 8-space tab stops?

The problem seems to be even weirder.

1234567890123456789012345678901234567890
x	x	x	x	x	x	x	x	x	x	x	x

In my composer the last x is just below the last 0. This means that 11
TABs are just as wide as about 39 characters. So the TABs are not really
4 characters wide but about 39/11 characters. Weird. The problem doesn't
really seem to depend on the font although I did not get exactly the
same result for all fixed fonts I tried.

In any case, this looks very much like a bug in the editor component
(QTextEdit) we are using. It appears to calculate the width of TABs
wrongly. I have verified this with the Text Edit demo provided by Qt
although there the TABs appeared to be about 9 characters wide.