[kdepim-users] KMail composer tab stop settings?

Adam Spragg adam.spragg at octaltelecom.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 10:05:48 GMT 2011

Dear kdepim users,

Having happily used KMail for a number of years, I've just had to try and
format a little table in an email, for which I used tabs to line up the
columns.

The tab stops in KMail composer seem to be set to 4 spaces, which seems
unusual compared to the more standard 8 spaces, and is unlikely to be how the
recipient's client will display them. Indeed, if I view the mail I sent in my
"sent-mail" folder, the table there is shown as if tab stops were 8 spaces.

I've searched the KMail settings, and the tubes, and the only other reference
I can find to this is:
  <http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2009-06/msg00046.html>
where the responder claims that this is not really the case, but merely an
illusion from using a proportional font. I am not using a proportional font in
composer; I have "use fixed font" checked, and I can *see* that I am using a
fixed font.

Can anyone else confirm this, and does anyone know of a way to get composer to
use 8-space tab stops?

I am using KMail 1.13.5 with KDE 4.4.5, Debian Squeeze package kmail 4.4.7-2

Thanks,

Adam

--
Adam Spragg <adam.spragg at octaltelecom.co.uk>
Developer

It reverses the logical flow of conversation!
<http://www.google.com/search?q=%22top+posting%22>