[kdepim-users] Re: Sync Kontact with mobile devices

Ecaroh lists at datenarbeiter.de
Sun Feb 6 12:14:11 GMT 2011

Hello!

On Samstag 05 Februar 2011 You wrote:
> Hello Marc, Ecaroh and Everbody
>
> 2011/2/5 Ecaroh <lists at datenarbeiter.de>

[...]

> > Besides syncing the raw files the better solution will be to sync
> > the data fields - but this is not trivial.
>
> Pls. briefly explain: what is the difference between "raw files" and
> "data fields"?

Raw files mean the whole VCF or ICS file with all kalendar or contact
data, not only the fields of one todo or one contact. Remember, if you
change different entries/values on both sides, the phone and the pc,
you can not sync the whole VCF/ICS file. Moreover, different
applications have different data fields. And some of them are missing
on the other side. So the problem is to a) sync when both sides have
changed and b) to take care of data which will ever only be on one side
available. I attached one VTODO as explanation at the end of this email
along with comments ( # ).

It ever was the problem of the IT industry that they did not agree to a
common standard of data fields. So syncing any data, opening files with
different applications was, is and i fear will always be a nightmare.

> Perhaps it is useful to broaden this fundraising - e.g. by alerting
> different Linux and KDE related lists and by setting up this special
> page.
>
> > > So... what do you think?
> >
> > The best solution is not to reinvent the wheel and give developers
> > like Patrick Ohly (Syncevoltion) more help - maybe in form of
> > donations.
>
> This sounds reasonable.

I will think about that and contact some developers about our idea. But
if i remember right, there is already a global project, which will
support funding for open source projects. Let me look for things that
might be already there.

Ecaroh

> Respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

So this is a typical extract from an ICS file. As you see there are
the "PILOT" ID's in the ics data fields. This takes care of what
version is on what side of the synchronsiation. So the main goal of the
synchronisation is to allow to may be change lines 71 to 87 on the Palm
Treo 650 phone and another todo on maybe lines 130 - 150 on the pc with
kontact.

   71 BEGIN:VTODO
   72 X-PILOTSTAT:1
   73 X-PILOTID:581815
   74 DTSTAMP:20110204T075739Z
   75 ORGANIZER;CN=Ecaroh:MAILTO:
   76 X-KDE-kontact-totalSessionTime:0
   77 X-KDE-kontact-totalTaskTime:0
   78 CREATED:20100513T130255Z
   79 UID:libkcal-1787442055.240
   80 SEQUENCE:1
   81 LAST-MODIFIED:20110123T141302Z
   83 SUMMARY:Ebay Verkauf
   84 PRIORITY:4
   85 CATEGORIES:Privat
   86 PERCENT-COMPLETE:90
   87 END:VTODO

And you might think of changing values of _one_ vtodo on both sides too.