[kdepim-users] Re: Sync Kontact with mobile devices

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 21:00:48 GMT 2011

Hello Marc, Ecaroh and Everbody

2011/2/5 Ecaroh <lists at datenarbeiter.de>

> Hello,
>
> first i must excuse for the late answer, i was really busy the last
> days.
Also I have been quite busy the past week.

> On Samstag 29 Januar 2011 Marc Deop has written:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > After reading the thread about "Looking for a "smartphone" that can
> > cooperate with Kubuntu 10.10 together with Kontact." I've realised we
> > have a problem in the open source world. We could manage to "survive"
> > copying information between our devices ourselves although that is
> > far from a good solution.
>
> To sad, indeed.

You are absolutely right, Marc.

> > Would you be in for an atempt to make syncing succesfull on our
> > mobiles devices using a standard protocol(syncml perhaps...)?

The more "standards" we can use and develop, the better.
Already a few days, I am busy - inbetween my other projects- to backup
the address book at my old Samsung J700i - with a view to importing it
at my laptop as well as at the new Nokia N900, I have bought a few
days ago. Really the ONLY way I have found so far to effectively do
so, is to e-mail EACH contact as a .vcf file from my phone to my GMAIL
account - a hell of a project..... however it may be, the .vcf
standard plays a pivotal role so far in any backup and synching
effort. I keep you updated on my experiences.

> I have only limited time, but i will go on with some attempts in the
> next weeks, including synevolution (seems to be the most promising).
Keep us updated, if you want.

> Besides syncing the raw files the better solution will be to sync the
> data fields - but this is not trivial.
Pls. briefly explain: what is the difference between "raw files" and
"data fields"?

> > Sometimes is not about lack of manpower but direction or
> > organization.
I am happy to help coordinating a smooth organisational process - e.g.
via a special page at one of my websites.

> I will be back in the list for a comment because somebody raised the
> proposal to force things a little bit more by something like a fund for
> money.

Perhaps it is useful to broaden this fundraising - e.g. by alerting
different Linux and KDE related lists and by setting up this special
page.

> > So... what do you think?
>
> The best solution is not to reinvent the wheel and give developers like
> Patrick Ohly (Syncevoltion) more help - maybe in form of donations.
This sounds reasonable.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.