[kdepim-users] kmail and the folders

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Dec 31 17:54:41 GMT 2011

Am 31.12.2011 18:48, schrieb Ingo Klöcker:
> On Saturday 31 December 2011, Martin (KDE) wrote:
>> Am Samstag, 31. Dezember 2011, 18:08:56 schrieb Martin:
>>> Hallo
>>>
>>> I recently moved from one 32 bit system to my new 64 bit system. As
>>> I use a centralised home system Installation was not that
>>> complicated, but kmail made a mess out of my folder configuration
>>> (all in one single online imap server).
>>>
>>> So I took the chance and a look into kmail2rc file. There are many
>>> folder based configurations like:
>>>
>>> [Folder-22]
>>> ExpireAction=Delete
>>> ExpireMessages=false
>>> ExpireToFolder=
>>> HideInSelectionDialog=false
>>> IgnoreNewMail=false
>>> MailingListArchiveAddress=
>>> MailingListEnabled=false
>>> MailingListFeatures=0
>>> MailingListHandler=0
>>> MailingListHelpAddress=
>>> MailingListId=
>>> MailingListOwnerAddress=
>>> MailingListPostingAddress=
>>> MailingListSubscribeAddress=
>>> MailingListUnsubscribeAddress=
>>> PutRepliesInSameFolder=false
>>> ReadExpireAge=3
>>> ReadExpireUnits=3
>>> UnreadExpireAge=12
>>> UnreadExpireUnits=0
>>> UseDefaultIdentity=true
>>> htmlLoadExternalOverride=false
>>> htmlMailOverride=false
>>>
>>> But what is missing: which folder does this configuration belong
>>> to? Wher do I get the folder name from this configuration belongs
>>> to?
>>>
>>> Anyway, now the configuration for my previous digikam-user
>>> mailinglist folder (was Folder-99) now belongs to my kde
>>> announcement folder.
>>>
>>> Last time I had such a mess I lost mails due to wrongly assign a
>>> mailing list folder with expiration set to my sent folder.
>>>
>>> Isn't this a little bit risky to assign completely unrelated
>>> configuration to folders they don't belong to? I have to check if
>>> there are mails missing in all my sub folders.
>
> Yes. This has already been discussed in a recent thread. Apparently, the
> numbers of the folders correspond to UIDs of those folders in Akonadi.
> The problem here is that those UIDs are only unique as long as the
> Akonadi database exists.
>
> Two solutions were discussed in this thread:
> - Move folder specific settings to Akonadi. This way they can never be
> used for a wrong folder.
> - Use some kind of UUID for identifying the folders.

So no need of reporting a bug?

>> So, setting delete on expiration is definitely a bad idea if you plan
>> to move your mail base around. I lost many mails (thanks to backup
>> not permanently). I don't know why this happened, why kmail set
>> expiration to the wrong folders. I have to file a bug on this issue
>> then.
>
> I guess you've deleted Akonadi's database which caused the loss of the
> folders' UIDs. Unfortunately, KMail did not take care of removing the
> now invalid folder settings. Did you re-add the mail accounts from
> within KMail? Or did you re-add corresponding Akonadi resources without
> KMail's help?

Hm, I did none of them. I sync my home folder except of the akonadi DB
from the server (takes to long to sync). As this is a new computer there
was no akonadi DB, but the akonadi configuration was synced.

So, as I think about it, I "deleted" the akonadi DB.

This lead me to another question: shall I sync my akonadi DB as well?

Martin