[kdepim-users] kmail and the folders

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 21:10:31 GMT 2011

On Saturday 31 December 2011, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am 31.12.2011 18:48, schrieb Ingo Klöcker:

> > Yes. This has already been discussed in a recent thread.
> > Apparently, the numbers of the folders correspond to UIDs of those
> > folders in Akonadi. The problem here is that those UIDs are only
> > unique as long as the Akonadi database exists.
> >
> > Two solutions were discussed in this thread:
> > - Move folder specific settings to Akonadi. This way they can never
> > be used for a wrong folder.
> > - Use some kind of UUID for identifying the folders.
>
> So no need of reporting a bug?

I'm not sure whether a bug was reported for this, but it also concerned
expiration settings being applied to wrong folders.

> >> So, setting delete on expiration is definitely a bad idea if you
> >> plan to move your mail base around. I lost many mails (thanks to
> >> backup not permanently). I don't know why this happened, why
> >> kmail set expiration to the wrong folders. I have to file a bug
> >> on this issue then.
> >
> > I guess you've deleted Akonadi's database which caused the loss of
> > the folders' UIDs. Unfortunately, KMail did not take care of
> > removing the now invalid folder settings. Did you re-add the mail
> > accounts from within KMail? Or did you re-add corresponding
> > Akonadi resources without KMail's help?
>
> Hm, I did none of them. I sync my home folder except of the akonadi
> DB from the server (takes to long to sync). As this is a new
> computer there was no akonadi DB, but the akonadi configuration was
> synced.
>
> So, as I think about it, I "deleted" the akonadi DB.
>
> This lead me to another question: shall I sync my akonadi DB as well?

Yes. Currently, the necessary information is stored partially in the
Akonadi database and partially in config files. If those two get out-of-
sync all kinds of problems may occur. (This situation is not ideal, but
that's how it is.)