[kdepim-users] kmail and the folders

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 17:48:28 GMT 2011

On Saturday 31 December 2011, Martin (KDE) wrote:
> Am Samstag, 31. Dezember 2011, 18:08:56 schrieb Martin:
> > Hallo
> >
> > I recently moved from one 32 bit system to my new 64 bit system. As
> > I use a centralised home system Installation was not that
> > complicated, but kmail made a mess out of my folder configuration
> > (all in one single online imap server).
> >
> > So I took the chance and a look into kmail2rc file. There are many
> > folder based configurations like:
> >
> > [Folder-22]
> > ExpireAction=Delete
> > ExpireMessages=false
> > ExpireToFolder=
> > HideInSelectionDialog=false
> > IgnoreNewMail=false
> > MailingListArchiveAddress=
> > MailingListEnabled=false
> > MailingListFeatures=0
> > MailingListHandler=0
> > MailingListHelpAddress=
> > MailingListId=
> > MailingListOwnerAddress=
> > MailingListPostingAddress=
> > MailingListSubscribeAddress=
> > MailingListUnsubscribeAddress=
> > PutRepliesInSameFolder=false
> > ReadExpireAge=3
> > ReadExpireUnits=3
> > UnreadExpireAge=12
> > UnreadExpireUnits=0
> > UseDefaultIdentity=true
> > htmlLoadExternalOverride=false
> > htmlMailOverride=false
> >
> > But what is missing: which folder does this configuration belong
> > to? Wher do I get the folder name from this configuration belongs
> > to?
> >
> > Anyway, now the configuration for my previous digikam-user
> > mailinglist folder (was Folder-99) now belongs to my kde
> > announcement folder.
> >
> > Last time I had such a mess I lost mails due to wrongly assign a
> > mailing list folder with expiration set to my sent folder.
> >
> > Isn't this a little bit risky to assign completely unrelated
> > configuration to folders they don't belong to? I have to check if
> > there are mails missing in all my sub folders.

Yes. This has already been discussed in a recent thread. Apparently, the
numbers of the folders correspond to UIDs of those folders in Akonadi.
The problem here is that those UIDs are only unique as long as the
Akonadi database exists.

Two solutions were discussed in this thread:
- Move folder specific settings to Akonadi. This way they can never be
used for a wrong folder.
- Use some kind of UUID for identifying the folders.

> So, setting delete on expiration is definitely a bad idea if you plan
> to move your mail base around. I lost many mails (thanks to backup
> not permanently). I don't know why this happened, why kmail set
> expiration to the wrong folders. I have to file a bug on this issue
> then.

I guess you've deleted Akonadi's database which caused the loss of the
folders' UIDs. Unfortunately, KMail did not take care of removing the
now invalid folder settings. Did you re-add the mail accounts from
within KMail? Or did you re-add corresponding Akonadi resources without
KMail's help?