[kdepim-users] Problems with filters (AGAIN!)

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Fri Dec 23 20:51:52 GMT 2011

Am Freitag, 23. Dezember 2011, 12:55:44 schrieb Jerome Yuzyk:
> On Friday, December 23, 2011 11:52:08 AM "Martin (KDE)" <kde at fahrendorf.de>
>
> wrote:
> > I use cyrus mail server with build in sieve filter. You can use courier
> > as well with either procmail or couriers maildrop filter. And a third
> > option is dovecot with build-in sieve filter.
>
> I think you mentioned this before and I noted it because I don't want to go
> through KMail2 problems like others. I am wondering how I would migrate
> from my KMail setup to Cyrus. Can I just:
>
> - tell KMail to quit picking up my POP mail and stop KMail
> - setup Cyrus
>   . point it at my ~/Mail (all maildir)
>   . add my KMail filters
> - start KMail and reconfigure it to use my new Cyrus

Please take some time for migration. Read the basic documentation for cyrus or
may be even better for you: dovecot. Dovecot is easier to set up (I use cyrus
because at the time I started it was the only one with the function I needed).
Dovecot is as good/fast as cyrus (may be even better).

You can not point the imap server to your local mail folder. Only one process
should access it. So best practice is:
- Setup your local imap server (according to the documentation)
- configure kmail1 to use the new imap server (parallel to your old storage)
- copy all local mail to the imap server
- setup getmail/fetchmail to retrieve your mails form different provider
- use any mail client you want and point it to use your local imap server

> I have a half-dozen POP accounts and other identities to migrate. Is it a
> lot of work?

Fetching mails from your pop accounts has to be done with an extra program
like fetchmail or getmail. fetchmail/getmail or similar programs can fetch
mails from different accounts (pop or imap) and put them either to another
program (procmail for example or dovecots deliver program) or drop them into
mail storage.

Please search the net for step by step instructions for this. There are
several out there. If you want a full featured mail system I recommend a local
install of postfix as mail transfer agent.

Please read:
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2009-April/039213.html for using getmail with
dovecot.

To come to your last questin: It depends. If you know what you are doing it is
not that hard (that's why I recommend reading basic documentation). You can
start with dovecot and getmail and if this is set up you can extend this with
postfix and ssl and ...

At first this sound very complicated, but it is worth the effort (and you can
prove your skills).

Martin