[kdepim-users] Problems with filters (AGAIN!)

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sat Dec 24 13:40:21 GMT 2011

Am Samstag, 24. Dezember 2011, 15:18:33 schrieb O. Sinclair:
> On 24/12/11 12:31, Martin (KDE) wrote:
[...]
> I have to ask - why?
>
> I only use pop3 accounts, I keep/save what I consider important in
> KMail(2) - I see no need to locally cache mail (as I understand it) and
> then fetch it?
>
> My filters work (spam took some extra tinkering in KMail2), my sorting
> works for me. So why the whole extra chain?

If it is only extra chain then it is OK. But as soon as you want or have to
access your mails from several places there is no way around in using imap
server (either your own or the one from your provider).

Next point is: I have to share some mails with the rest of my family. This is
really easy with an own imap server.

Third point: with this I can take care that no unwanted stuff comes into my
network. I do not have to check the settings of all mail clients my family is
using for security and safety.

Currently used mail clients are
- iPod Touch
- Android smart phones
- Android tablets
- Windows computers (thunderbird)
- Linux computers (thunderbird and kmail)
And only with an local imap server I can use this variety of clients and see
the same base mails. Here in Germany internet lines are not really fast
(16MBit download) and using my providers imap server is way to slow.

another point: Centralized backup.

Finally experience. I am a curious how all the things work. Knowledge is one
of the few things that never fill up.

Martin