[kdepim-users] Maildir Backend for Akonadi?

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Tue Aug 9 18:50:33 BST 2011

Am Dienstag, 9. August 2011 schrieb Georg Wittenburg:
> Hi Andras,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> On Tuesday 09 August 2011 16:43:15 Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Georg Wittenburg wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just took the leap and migrated my mail over to
> > > KMail2/Akonadi. The new
> > > system is quite a bit different with the extra layer of
> > > indirection that is Akonadi, and hence I have a few question
> > > on how to properly set up my accounts.
> > >
> > > Let's start with a simple one: Apparently, Akonadi stores all
> > > mail for my
> > > disconnected IMAP accounts in some kind of database format in
> > > ~/.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/. Not that I don't trust
> > > the KDEPIM devs, but I'd really like to have my the local
> > > cache of my (disconnected)
> > > IMAP account in maildir format (just as in KMail1). Is this
> > > possible, and
> > > if so could some please point me to the relevant documentation
> > > and/or the
> > > configuration dialog?
> >
> >  No, the cache is right now in the database. Why would you want a
> >  second
> >
> > cache? With IMAP the cache is synchronized relatively often with
> > the server, so you have everything on the server as well.
> >
> >  With kmail2 the difference between disconnected is online IMAP
> >  is just that
> >
> > in disconnected mode not only the headers are downloaded, but the
> > mail body as well. The storage is the same (the database and the
> > file_db_data folder).
>
> My local mail cache is part of the data that I include in regular
> backups. I prefer all my important data (such the mail contained
> in the mail cache) to be in a format that is simple and
> straightforward, and will be readable in ten years time. Thus, I'd
> prefer to have my local cache in maildir format rather than the
> Akonadi DB format.
>
> Note that I don't want a second cache, I merely want my main cache
> to be in maildir format as it used to be with KMail1. I'm aware
> that there is an option to archive folders in KMail2, however,
> this is quite tedious as compared to simply creating a TGZ of my
> $HOME folder.
>
> While I generally applaud the work on KMail2/Akonadi and consider
> it to be a great idea, I'm afraid that the ability to create
> backups and know that the file formats are simple and widely
> supported is quite an essential feature for me.
>
> Now, from your mail I take it that KMail2/Akonadi don't support
> maildir as backing store for the cache. I'd thus appreciate any
> suggestions on how I can achieve my long term storage goals while
> continuing to use this software.

I think you misunderstood something. With kmail1 there was no maildir
sized cache. The cache was a single DB file per folder and it only
caches header file stuff (search for *.index and *.index.ids files).
Mails itself are stored in maildir (if setup is set up to do so).

For disconnected IMAP this may be different, but then it is still a
cache. It will be overwritten with the next sync attempt.

What I don't understand: why do you want to backup caches? These
informations are at least redundant, most liekly they are outdated.

With akonadi this is a little bit different. There you can store flags
your backend does not support. But with other programs you currently
can not benefit from this data so you will not loose anything if you
loose your cache. I think there will be a backup option for akonadi in
the future (if it is not already there). So all akonadified programs
can get their cache data restored as well.

Regards

Martin