[kdepim-users] Maildir Backend for Akonadi?

Georg Wittenburg georg.wittenburg at gmx.net
Tue Aug 9 16:13:47 BST 2011

Hi again,

On Tuesday 09 August 2011 17:47:39 Andras Mantia wrote:
> Georg Wittenburg wrote:
> >>  No, the cache is right now in the database. Why would you want a
> >>  second
> >>
> >> cache? With IMAP the cache is synchronized relatively often with the
> >> server, so you have everything on the server as well.
> >>
> >>  With kmail2 the difference between disconnected is online IMAP is
> >>  just
> >>  that
> >>
> >> in disconnected mode not only the headers are downloaded, but the mail
> >> body as well. The storage is the same (the database and the
> >> file_db_data
> >> folder).
> >
> > My local mail cache is part of the data that I include in regular
> > backups. I prefer all my important data (such the mail contained in the
> > mail cache) to be in a format that is simple and straightforward, and
> > will be readable in ten years time. Thus, I'd prefer to have my local
> > cache in maildir format rather than the Akonadi DB format.
> >
> > Note that I don't want a second cache, I merely want my main cache to be
> > in maildir format as it used to be with KMail1.
>
> Unfortunately this is not possible. What you can do is to backup not the
> database itself, but write a script that backups the mysql database in text
> format (using sql commands) and the file_db_data directory as well.
> This will give you a format that is usable in the future as well. I doubt
> the SQL databases will disappear soon. ;)

True, but there won't be any nice way to import this data into any mail
client.

>  The other solution is to make an exporter from akonadi db into maildir
> format and ivoke this exporter from your backup script.

I see. This would add an considerable overhead to my backup procedure as
converting a non-trivial amount of mail to another format undoubtedly takes
it's time. Further, I take it that this kind of tool does not exist at the
moment and the KDEPIM devs don't intend to develop one in the near future.

I think -- unless you point out an oversight on my part -- that I'll have to
switch to another mail client for the time being. KMail has served me well for
the past ten years or so, and I'd like to thank you very much for all the
work! And good luck with KMail2/Akonadi! :-)

Best,

	Georg